natural perfumes, room sprays, candles, massage oils

http://www.dameclemence.com/



Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My Vietnamese perfume of Joy-post 3

Yesterday morning, just after I finished my post 2 , my landlord brought me a kumquat tree.
This is the tradition here in Vietnam to offer kumquat or peach trees to wish a prosperous new lunar Year.

Hanoi is in the mood for celebrations.

my landlord with the kumquat and osmanthus
The festive season starts at the end of this week. Everybody is rushing to prepare. Hundreds of motorbikes transporting kumquat, orange, pomelo trees to celebrate Tet 2012 :  new year of the water dragon.
Everybody at Dame Clemence was very excited with that tree and lunch conversation went on "What is the smell of Joy for Vietnamese" , staff answered :  orange, coriander (In Vietnam they use coriander leaf for purification before tet), smell of banh chung cooking (another traditonal dish for tet)
 The perfume of Joy linked with happy memories : festivities and celebrations.

I remember a  hard time ten years ago, coming back from Laos. I was in Lyon : it was winter, no job, no money…
With the little money I had, I bought a few essential oils, beyond them was bergamot, vetiver. I also had a small bottle of vanilla extract someone gave me for cooking. I blended them.
Bergamote was definitely uplifting, makes me want to smile, want to laugh. Clearing my mind, being positive and enthusiast. Vetiver was definitely rooting me, giving stability and confidence. Vanilla was here for me to feel warm, compassionated, a bit more sensual and sweet. I loved this combination, it was so good for me. I always had it in my pocket. Smelling it before interviews, smelling it when feeling cold, when feeling disheartened.

This combination was nothing new as it was clearly for me the basis of old Guerlains that I loved like Jicky, Shalimar or Chamade. I still use this combination in my products, but not as the main idea. 
When my landlord brought the kumquat tree this morning, she put it on the front of the door, next to the osmanthus tree, which is blossoming at the moment with its delicate apricot scent. I love this flower and I promised myself  for a long time to make one day a real exquisite body perfume with it.

Here I am… Bergamot, kumquat, orange, coriander, osmanthus, jasmine, vanilla, vetiver
From what I read on my favorite blogs on the subject, notes of frankincense, labdanum, patchouli should help.

 Mmmmh, there is a formula to work on… Definitely!

Waiting for your comments. The best comment will get a give away... I don't think I will be able to make the Vietnamese perfume of Joy formula before the end of the Lunar year. So I won’t give away a sample of that perfume which is only in my head at the moment, but I will definitely prepare for the best comment, a special blend with my bergamote, vanilla and vetiver. Shipping in Vietnam only.

All the winners of this blogathon will be informed on 29th January on this blog, after the "Tet festivities". So you can write until the 28th to be part of the game. If you want to be elligible for the prize, don't be anonymous, as I will need to contact you.

Wishing you a Happy Tet 2012 !


Don't forget to visit the blogs of my happy community of Natural Perfume bloggers :