natural perfumes, room sprays, candles, massage oils

http://www.dameclemence.com/



Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A perfume of Joy-post 2

So many questions...

Since I have started thinking seriously about this, I have now so much to explore!
Last Saturday, I went to Thuy An orphanage. Thuy An orphanage, situated about 1h30 from Hanoi, welcomes mainly disabled children. 
Some have deformity as a consequence of extensive use of orange agent during the Vietnamese war. Going to Thuy An orphanage is always an emotionally strong experience. Usually when I go there, I massage the children, or I just carry them in my arms. It's so amazing to see how these kids can relax, smile or laugh when you give them a little of caring time.
The olfactive environment is not very pleasant there. Urine smell all over the room and attack your nose when you enter, then you can distinguish some other smell of old food, or the humidity of the walls.  (more informations about Thuy An's orphanage on Dona's blog.)
Therefore with this blogathon project in my head, I grabbed 6 different essential oils for them to smell and see their reaction : bergamot, orange, lavender, pine, jasmine and rose. I could see the kids where reacting strongly to these smells. One kid who was a bit older than the others, (the one the picture) immediately gave his appreciation on the smells. He didn't like any, except the orange one which made him very enthusiast. Some other kids were keen on smelling everything. Some, from their faces, obviously did not like this strange intrusion in their olfactive world.
At this stage,  I couldn't honestly see any pattern. That was a bit frustrating, as I expected a great infatuation for bergamot which is MY essential oil for joy. Anyway, this raised so many questions that just encouraged me to continue this experience.

1- Is the stromg positive reaction about the orange smell due to the inner property of the orange or is it due to the fact that it was the only smell he knew? Oranges are quite common in Vietnam. I bet in his little age and little world, he never smelt bergamot, lavender, rose, pine or jasmine before.                                                              2- In my rush I brought only pure essential oils for them to smell. Next time I will definitely work on lower concentration.                      3- There I am back with my first question : Can we make an universal perfume or Joy or the perfume of Joy is a personal thing?
4- To broader the question, is the Jean-Baptiste Grenouille perfume of love just a myth ?

I would love to read your comments and ideas about this. The most inspiring one will win a set of samples of my six room sprays. Hopefully one will connect with you and bring you Joy. (Sorry for oversea people, I can send only in Vietnam. If you have an address in Vietnam, please contact directly with us, then we know how to reach you and eventually send your prize. Be aware that if you stay anonymous, I won't be able to contact you)

Please visit the fantastic blogs of my partners in this Blogathon adventure! They are all natural perfumers, in Australia, US, Canada, South Africa. There are writting some very inspiring posts, offering you  ideas, tricks and original scent to feel Joy in Winter. 

Joyce Noerr with lavender
Karen Williams with SAD uplifting diffuser blend 
Liz Cook with Frangipani and Freedom
Noelle Smith with her muscle mist
Stephanie Vinson with Green Sun
Susan Stype with her lighten up